"I am very pleased with this transaction as I believe we have transitioned the company, its well-known brands, its employees, and its dealers to excellent hands," said Gary DiCamillo, the CEO of Universal Trailer Corporation.
Ali E. Wambold, Chairman of the Board UTC commented, "We acquired Haulmark in 2002 and Wells Cargo in 2009 and helped them navigate through some of the most tumultuous times in the industry’s history. Now is the right time to move on to the next chapter in UTC’s exciting future.”
American Cargo Group CEO, Tom Lilly states, "This acquisition represents an exceptional and significant opportunity to enhance the growth of American Cargo Group and advance the company's strategic focus in enclosed cargo trailer business. Haulmark and Wells Cargo are brands that I have admired for many years while working in the industry. We value the longstanding success and brand recognition of Haulmark and Wells Cargo and are committed to providing their team of dedicated employees the resources they need to continue and expand upon the success they have built over the past sixty years. This investment also illustrates our confidence in the future of the cargo trailer industry. The cargo trailer industry has slowly but steadily rebounded from the last recession and is now poised for substantial growth. We intend to leverage our product innovation, operational experience, and expanded manufacturing footprint to support out dealer partners and focus on their long term success.
American Cargo Group President, Gary Mackelprang adds; "Both Haulmark and Wells Cargo are pioneers in the cargo trailer industry and have a long history of integrity, quality, and innovation. I’m excited to continue this tradition and help lead these great brands into the next stage of their growth."
American Cargo Groups corporate office will be in Elkhart, Indiana. The existing senior management team will continue to help lead the business.
- The Definitive Purchase Agreement was executed and effective on July 20, 2018, with a targeted closing date of August 1, 2018.
- UTCCG has a lineup of innovative products across multiple product categories. UTCCG's enclosed equipment, motorsports, concession, mobile restroom and high-end custom units are respected throughout the industry.
- UTCCG comprises several well-known brands. Wells Cargo trailers pioneered the cargo trailer industry when they opened their doors in 1954. Haulmark trailers was the number one selling enclosed trailer brand in the United States for many years in succession. UltraLav, another UTCCG brand manufactures mobile restroom and shower trailers for the rental industry and other industrial applications.
- The transaction is a positive, strategic addition to the Kaufman Trailers organization, which has manufacturing plants in Lexington, NC, Denton, NC, Beaver City, NE and Bennettsville, SC. Kaufman Trailers also owns Appalachian Trailers with facilities in Salem, OH and Manheim, PA. You can visit the company at www.kaufmantrailers.com.
- UTCCG has a total of five manufacturing facilities; Bristol, IN, Elkhart, IN, McAdoo, PA, Waco, TX, and Ogden, UT, which are included in the acquisition.
About Universal Trailer Corporation:
Universal Trailer Corporation is the largest and most innovative North American manufacturer of leading lifestyle, horse, livestock and utility trailer brands, such as Exiss and Sooner Aluminum Trailers, of El Reno, Okla., Featherlite of Cresco, Iowa, and Haulmark Motorcoach of Elkhart, Ind. Universal Trailer has a long history of excellence in service and reliability with some of its brands dating back more than 60 years. Headquartered in Fort Myers, Fla., Universal Trailer has four manufacturing plants across the United States, producing Featherlite, Featherlite Specialty, Exiss, Sooner branded trailers and Haulmark high-end Class C motorcoaches. Whether one needs horse trailers, livestock trailers, ATV trailers, motorcycle trailers, snowmobile trailers, racecar trailers, rare or custom car trailers, equipment trailers, or a trailer for any other cargo, there is a Universal brand to fit every hauling need. For more information, visit www.universaltrailer.com.